Heritage HillsPatriot Bands
Help Support the Patriot Bands
Help the Patriot Bands with a secure donation through PayPal. Click "Donate".
1) Pay band dues ($100 for 2013/2014)
2) Sponsor a Student's Dues
3) Make a donation to the Patriot Band
Thanks for supporting the Patriot Bands!
Please take into accout the PayPal transaction fee.
2nd Annual Chili Challenge
Calling all Chili lovers! Those who cook, and those who eat. The 2nd Annual HH Bands Chili Challenge is coming! Join us on Monday, March 10 at 6 pm for a great evening of chili- and performances by the HH Winter Guard and HH Percussion Ensemble.
For more information, CLICK HERE!
Patriot Band Members Chosen for Honor Bands
The Patriot Bands would like to congratulate the following students for making a variety of honor bands/ensembles:
IMEA All-State Honor Band:
IN-ASTA All-State Orchestra:
IBA All-State Honor Band:
We are VERY proud of our Patriot Band members, and wish them great performances and great experiences at these events.
Focus in Practice
As many of us begin the New Year with resolutions and "turning over new leaves", we hope that all of us focus on the core skill of practicing. As musicians, it is important that we work on developing and reinforcing new skills- learned in class- at home. Students need to focus on three basic parts of a practice routine:
1) Warm-Up. This is where essential, core skills are reinforced and refined, such as tone quality, breath control, and pitch control. Think of this as stretching.
2) Technique. This is both rhythmic and note technique. We need to work on playing in many key signatures, with many different rhythm combinations. Additionally, time must be spent committing to muscle memory the core rhythmic and melodic patterns that occur in music.
3) Specific musicality. This is what we should be doing with the literature being prepared for class- making music. We use the skills developed in warm-up and technique time to shape and develop the statements given to us in the actual music, for performance.
In many ways, practicing a piece of music is similar to how a basketball team prepares for a game. All teams stretch and prepare their body to perform. Most good teams take time daily to do passing, dribbling, and shooting drills, and general game situation rehearsal. Most good teams spend time "game planning" for their next opponent- implementing the theory of how to approach the specific challenges provided in their next game. This is the same process as an individual musician's practice session.
Adopt the HH Patriot Bands (or a few members)! Support our students with the gift of better hearing! Click on the Adopt-a-Band logo for more information. Click on the donation button above to adopt-some-of-the-band!
Winter 2014 Performance
Sat., 1/25- Guard @ Terre Haute N.
result: 2nd place, Silver rating
Fri., 2/7- ALUMNI NIGHT
Basketball Game- 5pm call
result: 4th place, Silver rating
postponed to 2/15,
result: 3 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze
Thrs., 2/13- Basketball Game
result: 4th place, bronze rating
result: 5th place
Sat. 2/22- Guard @Brownsburg
Tues., 2/25- Basketball Game
Sat. 3/1- State Solo/Ensemble @Indy
Sat. 3/15- Guard @State (Indy)
Sat. 3/15- Percussion @IPA Prelims
Sat. 3/22- Percussion @IPA Finals